Class Action Litigation
FBR’s partners have extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in class action litigations. On the plaintiffs’ side, the Firm’s lawyers have led litigations that produced some of the largest awards obtained by classes as well as settlements that far exceeded the percentage recoveries typically attained in class action litigation. Similarly, our partners have achieved great success defending corporations against class action litigation in high-profile matters.
- Obtained settlements in excess of $180 million for class members, an extraordinary result given the bankruptcy of the corporate issuer and the minimal insurance maintained by the company’s executives. In re Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products NV Securities Litigation (D. Mass.).
- Secured settlements totaling over $40 million from an accounting firm, bankrupt issuer, its executives and its alleged co-conspirator. In re Winstar Communications Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.).
- Obtained a $32 million settlement from a bankrupt Dutch software company and its executives, which amounted to nearly all of the damages claimed by class members. In re Baan Company Securities Litigation (D. D.C.).
- Secured a $12.5 million settlement with a bankrupt American television licensing company predominantly traded on a German stock exchange. In re TEAM Communications Securities Litigation (C.D. Cal.).
- Obtained a $9 million settlement with a Japanese software company and its executives. In re Crayfish Inc. Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.).
- Secured a $400 million resolution recognized as one of the largest securities class action settlements ever after litigating and negotiating for four years as co-lead counsel. In re Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.).
- Obtained a $20.5 million settlement on behalf of investors in two Dreyfus mutual funds amounting to over 90% of class members’ claimed damages. In re Dreyfus Aggressive Growth Mutual Fund Litigation (S.D.N.Y.).
- Secured an $81.3 million jury verdict as lead trial counsel after a five-week federal securities fraud trial against a national accounting firm. Robbins v. Deloitte Touche L.L.P. (M.D. Fla.).
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $350 million as lead counsel in a massive securities fraud, common law fraud, and breach of fiduciary duties class action brought on behalf of nearly four million policyholders of an insurance company.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement serving as co-lead counsel in a class and collective action regarding wage-and-hour payment disputes.
- Currently serving as co-lead counsel in various class actions involving misbranded food and beverage products, including some in which FBR has secured successful certification of injunctive relief classes.