Financial Services &
Securities Fraud Litigation
Drawing on our partners’ many years as state and federal prosecutors and leading securities fraud lawyers, FBR is adept at providing strategic and tactical advice in a variety of complex financial services matters. We regularly litigate and arbitrate complex securities fraud claims on behalf of pension funds, hedge funds, and other institutional investors, as well as individual investors. Many of our matters involve federal and state securities statutes and regulations, alleged investment fraud, market manipulation, and Ponzi schemes. We frequently serve as counsel in disputes before FINRA, the American Arbitration Association and other arbitration organizations.
The Firm’s partners have served as the principal counsel in fraud actions that have produced hundreds of millions of dollars in recoveries for investors. We bring our experience in those matters to bear in all of our investment-related cases, large and small.
- Obtained a favorable, confidential settlement for general partnerships and other investors alleging fraud against a national energy company. Patriot Exploration, LLC v. SandRidge Energy, Inc. (D. Conn.).
- Settlements totaling $85 million for institutional investor clients, representing a multiple of more than 50 times the amount those funds would have achieved had they participated in the settlement in the related class action. In re Tyco Securities Litigation (D. N.H.).
- Served on the Executive Committee that settled the multi-district litigation regarding the purchases of commodities from MF Global prior to its collapse in October 2011. In re MF Global Holdings Ltd Investment Litigation (S.D.N.Y.).
- Obtained an $81.3 million jury verdict as lead trial counsel after a five-week federal securities fraud trial against a national accounting firm. Robbins v. Deloitte Touche L.L.P. (M.D. Fla.).
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $350 million as lead counsel in a massive securities fraud, common law fraud, and breach of fiduciary duties class action brought on behalf of nearly four million policyholders of a major insurance company. Duhaime v. John Hancock Mut. Life Ins. Co. (D. Mass.).
- Defended the Chief Financial Officer of an international satellite interception company in a securities class action asserting claims related to the violation of various SEC regulations.